Allow me introduce you to eggplant personal pizza. All of the flavors and textures you want from pizza, without the stomach ache from dairy and grains. I’m not much of a sports fan, but if I was, I’d make these to munch during March Madness.
I grew up referring to Saturday as pizza night. When I still lived in Syracuse, we would go to my grandparents every Saturday night to eat with my extended family. My memories of the time spent together these nights are some of my childhood favorites. I’d hang out with my cousins, wander through the kitchen stealing toppings during prep time (sorry Mom), and then leave with a roll of Smarties for the ride home.
While I don’t celebrate pizza night every week anymore, my family still enforces this routine when we are all together. I’m all for tradition, but as I’ve gotten older pizza has started to make my stomach hurt. The combination of cheese and processed flour just doesn’t sit well with me. These eggplant personal pizzas are a great substitute.
A few quick steps, and your pizza will be prepped for the week!
You’ll start by slicing the eggplant and salting it to remove moisture. Next step, dip the slices in egg and almond flour. From there, you can get creative! I chose to keep it simple with traditional pizza sauce, sausage, and almond cheese. Okay you’re right, almond cheese isn’t simple. But you know what I mean. I thought about adding sautéed green peppers and onion. Honestly? I got lazy. And because I’m all about sharing quick and easy recipes with you here on Get Well With Em, I decided that was okay. That being said, if you have more time when you make this pizza for yourself, feel free to get creative with your topic choices!
While we’re on the topic of toppings. I have a question for you! What order do you put toppings on your pizza? I go sauce, toppings, cheese, but I’ve worked in pizzerias that put the toppings on top of the cheese. Personally, I think cheese on top is best, so the melted cheese can hold the toppings in. I’m curious what your method is!
Alright, enough rambling. Time for the recipe!
Individual Eggplant Personal Pizza
- sea salt
- almond flour
- non-stick cooking spray
- pizza sauce
- almond cheese
- Italian sausage (optional)
- Slice eggplant into 1/4 inch rounds, then place on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle sea salt over the slices, then flip and salt the other sides.
- Let the eggplant sit for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Pat the eggplant dry with a paper towel, pressing down to squeeze out any remaining water.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown the sausage in a skillet over medium heat (optional).
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Prepare one bowl with almond flour and crack your egg into the other. Add 1 tablespoon of water, then scramble.
- Dip your eggplant round in the egg, then almond flour, before placing on the prepared baking sheet.
- Spoon pizza sauce onto the center of each round.
- Add any toppings you’d like: sausage, onions, peppers, etc.
- Top with almond cheese.
- Place on center rack in the oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let cool, and enjoy!