I love breakfast. If I had to chose one meal to eat for all my meals, the rest of my life, I’d chose breakfast without skipping a beat. Smoothies, pancakes, eggs, OATMEAL, breakfast sandwich, french toast. The options are honestly endless. I mean, I’m not pizza obsessed, but there is even a breakfast pizza. Lately, I’ve been loving sandwiches for breakfast. Namely, an open-faced breakfast sandwich with spinach, sriracha, egg, and avocado.
I’m not usually one to want a sandwich, my lunches usually consist of overflowing bowls of food, but breakfast is where I get my bread fix for the day. I was wandering around Mississippi Market Natural Foods Co-op the other day, and I found these Rudi’s Spelt English Muffins on sale.
Am I the only one who wanders grocery stores, shopping the sale, in order to decide what to make for meals that week? My guess is no. And this time, the wandering led to these English muffins, so I’m pretty happy about this particular find.
Speaking of English muffins, who wants a little history lesson?
Did you know that English muffins were originally served door-to-door in England as an alternative to toast? You’ve probably seen or had Thomas English Muffins a bajillion times, but turns out Samuel Bath Thomas just copied a recipe and brought it to the US from England. Just a little fun fact for ya. Whip that out at your holiday parties and then come back and thank me when everyone is impressed by your trivia abilities.
Now that you know the story of English muffins, let’s get back to this breakfast sandwich.
For this beauty, I toasted the muffin, smothered on some avocado, added fresh ground salt and pepper, topped it with an egg per side, added a handful of spinach, and finally drizzled with hot sauce. Because everything is better with hot sauce.
It turned out pretty fantastic if I do say so myself. And it covered all the nutrient bases. Carbohydrate, protein, fat. That means it kept me full and avoided the hanger for longer than that same English muffin with just a quick spread of jam would of. By the way, that’s how English muffins are traditionally eaten. Smothered in jam, butter, or both. I think I prefer these breakfast sandwiches, but that’s just me.
If you had to chose, what meal would you eat for the rest of your life? Breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert? Tell me in the comments! Whatever your favorites are, I’ll make sure to include some fun recipes soon!
- English muffin
- 2 eggs
- hot sauce
- Spray you frying pan with non-stick cooking spray and set over medium heat.
- Crack 2 eggs into the pan. How you prepare them is up to you, but my favorite is over easy. Gotta have that yolk to did the muffin in!
- While the eggs are cooking, toast an English muffin.
- Once toasted, spread 1/4 avocado on each half.
- Next, add spinach, salt, and pepper.
- When the eggs are done, gently slide one onto each half of the English muffin.
- Add a hearty dose of hot sauce drizzled on top and dig in!
- You can either eat yours open faced like I did to avoid a mess as much as possible, or stack your halves on top of each other for the ultimate breakfast sandwich.