Fall is rolling in and pumpkin recipes are starting to pop up all over. So, to cure my case of FOMO without fully giving into fall just yet, I made Pumpkin Pea Pesto!Don’t get me wrong, I love fall! The crisp morning air is perfect for running and pumpkin oatmeal is my favorite. I’m just a little worried about my first winter in Minnesota, so I’m not quite ready to embrace the changing seasons yet. I’m in denial okay!?
Usually pesto is made with cheese or pine nuts. Well, my stomach isn’t a huge fan of cheese, and pine nuts are expensive. Plus, pumpkin seeds have more protein than pine nuts do, so this pesto is a little bit more filling. Which in my book is always a good thing. I’m constantly trying to fight back the hanger.
Let me know what recipes you want me to share as we head into comfort food season! I’m thinking muffins, my go-to oatmeal combos, crock pot soups. But I already know how to make all those things, so really, let me know in the comments okay?!
Pumpkin Pea Pesto
- 1/2 cup thawed frozen peas
- handful of basil
- one lemon, juiced
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 2+ tablespoons pumpkin oil
- salt and pepper
- Place all ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until slightly chunky.
- Taste the mixture–add in more basil or pumpkin oil depending on the taste and consistency you’re looking for.
- Serve as a sauce with zoodles or try it on red peppers, straight out of the bowl, hummus style.