You’ve made it out of bed and wandered into the kitchen at 5:00 am. You’ve got a cycling class to get to at 6, friends who are counting on you to meet them there, now all you have to do is down some coffee, eat half a banana with peanut butter, and make it out the door on time. Seems pretty straightforward.
Then you realize you’re out of coffee, your boyfriend ate the rest of the peanut butter, and you can’t find your keys. You’ve got to leave in the next 3 minutes or you won’t make the class. The panic is starting to set in and you’re getting frustrated with yourself for not being more organized.
I’ve been there. That flustered, angry feeling when you’re already awake but you don’t have time to make it to the class? It sucks. To avoid this happening, I’ve developed a quick nightly routine so that my mornings run smoothly, and I even get a couple more minutes of sleep. Just a few minutes at night making sure you have everything ready to go in the morning when your alarm goes off can make the difference between the sweaty, endorphin filled you, and the groggy, angry, nobody-talk-to-me version.
- Set the coffee pot up so that all you have to do in the morning is flip the on switch. Bonus points if your coffee pot has a timer and can automatically start brewing in the morning. (Do I see a potential for a few more minutes of sleep here??)
- Put your meals for the day in individually portioned containers, stacked neatly in one section of the fridge. Put items that don’t need to be refrigerated, like trail mix and silverware, into whatever bag you plan to take with you to work the next day. Pulling out your lunch salad only to realize you don’t have a fork to eat it with is not fun, trust me.
- Set out your workout clothes as well as your work clothes for the following day. Will your significant other still be sleeping while you’re getting ready and you worry about waking them up? Put your things in the bathroom, this means less fumbling in the dark and a thankful boyfriend or girlfriend.
- Put your keys and wallet in the same place every night. No frantic searching as you head out there door!
- Fill up your water bottle. Place it in the fridge or on the counter next to the coffee pot to grab as you run out the door in the morning.
- Keep a bag with your gym essentials in your car at all times. This means headphones, an extra hair tie, gym towel, socks, deodorant, a spare water bottle. Make sure you have everything you need for a successful gym session.
If you follow these steps, that sleepy stumble out of bed in the morning will feel smooth and seamless. It won’t matter that your brain isn’t on yet and you just tried to put a dirty dish in the fridge instead of the dishwasher. You did all the thinking the night before, and now you just have to zombie walk your way through the motions and get to the gym.