I don’t know about you, but I am someone who can become quickly disheartened by the monotony of a routine. When I want change to happen, I want it immediately. Keeping my goals in sight can be hard during these times, and I can begin to feel like my inner drive and light is fading. Do you know what I’m talking about? That sluggish mode when you feel like you have nothing left to give but so much you want to achieve. In these moments, I use a few important tools to return me to that empowered feeling where I’m ready to tackle the day with positive energy.
The empowered women is powerful beyond measure
and beautiful beyond description. -Steve Maraboli
In collaboration with SweatPink and AfterShokz, I’m sharing the top 5 things that make me feel empowered.
- Playlist: Having a good combination of emotional ballads, top hits, and funk jams is key. This playlist has come in especially handy when I’m blasting it through my headphones during the last few miles of my long runs.
- Self-Care: When I was younger I always left the library with a stack of books to read. Lately, I’ve been reconnecting with my passion for reading and there’s nothing better than a good book, tea, and my cat Trout curled up on my lap. I’m currently reading The Secret History by Donna Tartt.
- Exercise: You all saw that one coming, right? Nothing makes me feel more empowered than a solid long run or time spent lifting weights. The power and focus it takes to have a solid workout session never fail to leave me feeling refreshed and energized.
- Podcasts: I spend a lot of time in my car, and I’ve started to use this time to listen to my favorite podcasts. My current favorites at WANTcast, One Part Podcast, and a new one, Heavyweight.
- Family and Friends: Those who know you best have the power to see through your fog and remind you of what’s important. When I’m feeling down, a phone call with a friend is just want I need to remind me why I’m unique and bring me back to that feeling of empowerment.
What do you do when you want to feel empowered? Have any good books or podcasts you’ve been listening to lately? I’m always looking for new ones so let me know in the comments below!